Residents of the waterfront and city centre will be interested to learn about the new proposed local government boundary changes and your views are being sought before a final decision is made.
Here are some of the draft recommendations:
- Waterfront North (1 cllr) – Waterloo Dock, Ten Streets, Liverpool Waters up to Bootle border.
- Waterfront South (1 cllr) – Princes Dock, Mann Island, Albert Dock, Kings Dock, Wapping, Marina, Coburg Dock, Navigation Wharf, South Ferry Quay and Brunswick Dock.
- City Centre North (2 cllrs) – Commercial District, Marybone, Historic Downtown, Main Retail Area and Liverpool One Shopping.
- City Centre South (2 cllrs) – L1 Estate, Baltic, Anglican Cathedral.
- Ropewalks (1 cllr) – everything between Duke Street and Mount Pleasant – east boundary Roscoe Street.
- Brownlow Hill (2 cllrs) – Fabric District and Bullring.
- Paddington (2 cllrs) – Canning, University area, Paddington Village, parts of Edge Hill.
Armstrong Quay and City Quay go into a new Festival Gardens ward with Otterspool.
Cllr Nick Small comments:
Broadly, these are positive changes, reflecting the growth of the City Centre. It will result in 11 councillors representing the wider City Centre and Waterfront areas without expanding outside of it. This will give City Centre and Waterfront residents a more powerful voice on the City Council. These are changes that may remain in place for the next decade and beyond (the current boundaries date from 2004). The one concern I’ve got is having Ropewalks as a single-member ward. In our submission at the first stage we argued that, as this is a very transient, night-time economy area and part of the City Centre South community, it would be better as a three member ward with City Centre South. The Boundary Commission, while recommending a 2 councillor City Centre South and 1 councillor Ropewalks, has left the door open to this, saying they want to hear the views of Ropewalks residents and local organisations.
Here’s the link where residents can register their views: https://consultation.lgbce.org.uk/have-your-say/30069?bbox=323207,379036,354819,398692
Cllr Nick Small has submitted the following comments about Ropewalks: Central Ward Submission
You can read more about this in the Echo: Map of Liverpool set for huge change with 71 new areas and different names 31.03.22