Residents and businesses on the Waterfront applied to the City Council to designate the Waterfront for the purpose of developing a Neighbourhood Forum to deliver in time a Neighbourhood Plan for the area as part of the Localism Act. In August 2015 the Council refused permission for the Waterfront Area Designation.
The minimum requirement of 21 people had volunteered to become part of a proposed Waterfront Neighbourhood Forum making sure there was no more than 50% residents to businesses and drawing people in equal measure from across the entire area. However the big players refused to take part. In fact they even refused to allow us to meet with them through their business organisation the Liverpool Waterfront Business Partnership. This was a constant sadness and despite great efforts on the part of Engage it was never possible to address the business community as a whole. It is clear from their comments during the Public Consultation that they don’t understand either the Localism Act or Neighbourhood Planning.
However there is overwhelming support amongst those who live on the Waterfront for place-making and the democratic right given to all workers and residents in a neighbourhood to have a say in the future planning decisions of their area. But not amongst the powerful and the landowners. Meetings will be held after the summer holiday period to decide on the next step. What is clear is that unless the Localism Act is repealed it is here to stay and so is Neighbourhood Planning.
- Delighted to see this and very grateful. https://t.co/RRnhB4Emdq
- RT @MerseyCivic: Do you hate the idea of a Zipwire between the Radio City Tower and the central library roof? If so consider supporting tth…
- RT @histliverpool: I love this interactive tour of the Liverpool Docks! Might look into using something similar on my site. Lots of interes…
- Let's look to Manchester for guidance on how to do cycling lanes. https://t.co/4ZUwHf4gDP
- RT @lpoolcouncil: Work on Castle Street is underway as part of Liverpool Without Walls - a £450k pilot scheme which aims to help cafes and…
- Excellent idea, great concept, well done! https://t.co/XRjV6ChCR8
- Really excited about this event tomorrow. Hope lots of people from the west of the Pennine range will jon us! https://t.co/5kIQivXc3s
- Last week was great but this week will be even better! https://t.co/MdIfIUUZQr