National Museums Liverpool (NML) on Friday (19.03.21) launched an international competition to find the right partner to lead an ambitious development proposal to make of the remaining part of the NML waterfront estate a visitor destination of which the city could be proud.
The outdoor space extends from the Mann Island development right up to the NML Maritime and International Slavery Museums in the Royal Albert Dock and includes all the buildings within the site around the Canning Graving Docks which currently has no access for the public. It is NML’s desire to see this space transformed into a high-quality location that will attract locals as well as tourists from abroad.
The email sent to Engage from NML stated:
- “Today we have launched the Waterfront Transformation Project: Canning Dock Competition to appoint a multi-disciplinary team to transform part of this world-renowned UNESCO World Heritage site into a stunning leisure and cultural destination, with a powerful heritage narrative. The two-stage competition will be open to both national and international teams including architects, landscapers, and structural, civil, and services engineers. The teams entering the competition will need to draw on, and be representative of, the communities that National Museums Liverpool serve. Not only will they have to generate wonderful designs that deliver beautiful, functional, and cost-effective solutions, but they will need to do so through a process that is inclusive and collaborative.”
We look forward to this project developing and will keep all waterfront and city centre residents informed as the project moves through its various stages. We wish all those entering the competition well and hope each of the teams draw upon the passion, experience and expertise of those who live in this area throughout the year every year and for whom this location is their permanent home.
- NML website: The Canning Dock Competition
- Colander Associates: Competition Details 19.03.21
- Explore Liverpool website: Liverpool Waterfront Transformation competition launched to redesign historic waterfront space 19.03.21
- The Guide Liverpool website: Liverpool’s Waterfront Transformation project launches today with the Canning Dock competition 19.03.21
- Architects’ Journal: Major contest planned for Liverpool’s museums quarter 28.01.21
- Api Global: Design contest to ‘breathe new life’ into Liverpool waterfront 28.01.21
- Architects’ Journal: Competition: Liverpool Waterfront Masterplan 04.03.19
Image courtesy of Architects’ Journal